Monday, June 6, 2011

New Yorker cartoon - Roy Delgado



Actually, this could never happen.  The reason being that in a Bob Mankoff interview, which was published in a major periodical several years ago, which I don't have at my fingertips right now ( But with a little research could be found ), Bob stated in commenting to a question about the many complaints that many people in the past had criticized The New Yorker for publishing what was perceived to be "pointless" or "non-sensical" gags . . . . Bob's comment and answer caused me to gag and choke and drop my Jack Daniels on my lap and the floor . . . I'll paraphrase what he said: It was something like: " Oh, I do that on purpose, some of the cartoons I select aren't supposed to be understood . .  or " gotten " . . .  Something like about 10-15% are like that . . I KNOW that . . . "

Think about that  for a minute.  Some of the cartoons they publish are SUPPOSED to irritate you or confuse you, get it ?"

Which reminds me of a phone call I got from Masear several years ago, the cartoonist who draws in an interesting style where all the characters in his drawings have huge "elephant-man like" growths the size of distorted grapefruits or cantaloupes where the nose is . . . . .  on ALL the characters.  I said to him that in my opinion, maybe the noses should be just a teeny-tiny bit larger.  I was actually just trying to be funny.  It really doesn't matter. ( Especially if you are into DADA art )

The conversation got to New Yorker cartoons, and I mentioned the fact that I didn't "get" many of the cartoons . . . and I'll never forget what he said . . . " Aw, Roy, I understand ALL of the New Yorker cartoons . . .   "

How could he understand All the cartoons when some are NOT suposed to be understood, hm-m-mn ?

----------------------------------------------------

" When you hire people who are smarter than you are, you prove you are smarter than they are. "

R.H. GRANT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment