Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Jim Williams- cartoonist 1954- L.A.



Rummaging through some old boxes, I ran across this:

This is a copy of a drawing which was done by the-then- fledgling cartoon kid cartoonist( Jim was 17 at the time ), I had just turned 18, this was in Los Angeles in 1954 !  

I was attending Billy Hon's Cartoon School at the time and I had just met this guy about my age, but who was much better than me at the time . . . He was trying to answer
Dennis the Menace with Petey the Pest . . . unfortunately, it was never syndicated and over the years I lost track of Jim . . . he really had a lot of talent.   wonder where he is now ?  

I DO remember he lived in a suburb, or exurb of L.A. called La Habra, California, which was  also the home and studio of the famous Lew Card, who was editing and publishing a nifty cartoonist trade journal called " Lew Card's Cartoon Market Letter.  I remember visiting his home with about 5-6 kids running around . . . he made a swell spaghetti dinner  - - -  A gentleman, real character and swell guy.

 - - - - - - - - 

" There is one thing which gives radiance to everything.
It is the idea of something around the corner. "

- G. K. Chesterton, 1874-1936
ENGLISH WRITER, POET AND CRITIC



No comments:

Post a Comment