Wednesday, August 4, 2010

16146 Wall Street Journal cartoon


This is a very recent ( last week ) cartoon that appeared in one of the few major U.S. newspapers, the prestigious Wall Street Journal.  The cartoon was tight-pencilled by Roy Delgado and inked by Peter Plum using the Corel PaintShopPro9 program.  Since the newspaper only uses black and white art for the cartoons, the idea was to simulate a "washtone" effect using various dot patterns.  It seems to have worked.  The finish product had indeed the look of a wash drawing !

3 comments:

  1. Hi Roy,
    This indeed does look very nice. Great job! When you say it was "inked...using Corel...9", do you do your inking on the computer? If so, do you use a drawing tablet\monitor and pen or do you simply scan in the pencil drawing and then turn the lines black with the Paint Shop Pro? Just curious. I use Photo Shop and have a drawing monitor, but find it "uncomfortable" to ink with a computer pen, so I ink on a light board. Always looking for new ways to complete my toons faster.
    Thanks Gary Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zell,
    First, I draw a pencil rough on bond paper, then, using a light table I make corrections by tracing it, and then usually I have to trace it again, and sometimes I have to trace it one more time and till I'm happy with it. The final is done either with a pencil OR a Micron pen.

    Next step is to scan it into a black and white image. Then on the screen, I make further slight changes and clean it up. I either color it right on the computer screen using the mouse, OR if it is a washtone look I'm after, I can apply various dot patterns in assorted greys, and sometimes I apply two or three various dot patterns, one on top of another to achieve the desired effect. Doing it this way, it is still a black and white drawing and is not considered a half-tone wash drawing.

    Of course 99% of the drawings I go ahead and actually finish in transparent gray washtones. With millions of shades of grays available, the program makes you look better than you really are !

    Hope this was helpful.
    Best,
    Roy aka Peter Plum

    ReplyDelete