Sunday, August 1, 2010

Revised BULJERT logo



I thought I'd do this project out in the open.  Show you how it came about.  The name BULJERT has always been in the back of my head for a catchy name of a comic. Way back since when I was 15 years old working in a sign shop in Tucson, Arizona, the bosses' son was then about 9 years old and kid would hang around the shop on Saturday mornings and fool around with the paints and stuff.  The boss had given his son a nickname of " BULJERT".  I liked the name and it never left my mind.

I first used the name in an early PLUM LOCO  panel  ( on this blog ) referring to a morbidly obese kid. I knew it was politically incorrect, trying to maybe use the fat kid as a springboard to his own comic.  But upon further contemplation, I scrapped the idea.  I knew it just wouldn't fly in the straight comic world.

I couple weeks later, since I love dog and cat cartoons . . . it came, Wham ! . . . BULJERT THE BULLDOG !

So, first I had the name . . then, the character . . .  sounds backwards, but what the heck, I'll do it.  I quickly worked on the logo . . . after seeing it on my blog for a few days, the spacing between the L and J just did not look right, so I changed it into what you see here.  The moral here is that it is ALWAYS to let what you think is a  a good idea sit around a few days more,  let it jell till it's ripe . . . so you can refine it for presentation.  It's a rule I preach but I made a mistake . . . anyway, now it feels right . . . but that, actually is the fun part of this business, the creating.  Now, let's see what happens to BULJERT out there in the universe !  Only time will tell.  I can see a Tee Shirt already and coffee mugs and mouse pads, and baseball caps and bedspreads and ( As you can see I sometimes suffer from delusions of grandeur ).  But hey, that's okay to dream . . .  the last I heard, you gotta have a dream before a dream can come true.

Now to develop the charcter personalities of  BULJERT'S nemesis,  Bilford the Postman . .  Mr. Boswell, the dog's owner and his son and a couple of cats who enjoy ridiculing BULJERT.

This post will be noted as the day BULJERT was given a peek of a project in the works. THE BIRTH OF BULJERT !

4 comments:

  1. Hey Roy,
    I like your Buljert comic idea. The 2nd logo does look better than the first. Did you try placing the hook of the "J" slightly lower than the rest of the letters. Where it falls in the middle, it might give a nice look. Then again, you have been doing this (and signage) much longer than I have. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I really like the looks of the main character Buljert. Can't wait to see what you do with the supporting cast members.
    As for dreams, you're right! Your dream can't come true if it hasn't first been dreamt!
    Good luck with Buljert.
    Gary Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Gary . . . There is STILL too much room between the L and the J . . . needs a little more tweaking . . thanks for the input. Will play around with it a little before I do the final which I will show right here further on down the line after a few more PLUM LOCOS . .
    Best, Roy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary, please email us at peterplum41, have important information.
    Thanks Roy and Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad forgot the complete email address! That is: peterplum41@yahoo.com
    It is tricky wearing all of these hats, he said.

    Peter Plum Jr.

    ReplyDelete