Thursday, April 14, 2011

Stan Fine - Master Magazine Cartoonist - 1954


" I'd better disappear till this thing blows over. "


In 1954 while attending Billy Hon's Cartoon School in Los Angeles I remember drooling over the latest issues of The Saturday Evening Post and Collier's and Look magazines . . . looking at and studying the gag cartoons in all of them . . . saying to myself . . . maybe , no not maybe . . . but someday I'll be drawing for these magazines . . . I'm sure . . . 


It took that kind of resolve and attitude . . . not EVER giving the thought or the recognition for the possibility of failure or defeat in this endeavor . . .   

Anyway, I loved Stan Fine's style and so I wrote him and told him I was a student and then I begged for a cartoon rough to frame and hang in my studio for inspiration . . Here it is . . I've kept it safely all these years . . and still hangs in my studio. 

Last I heard he moved from PA or CT down to FL several years ago. 

I heard he ghosted " HAZEL " for Ted Key and is why his style really resembles Ted Key's.  They were definately two of my all-time favorite magazine cartoonists !

This drawing was definately executed with a brush . . . probably a red sable 1 or 2 with India ink on what looks like typewriter onion-skin paper !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Paul Meyer told me personally over lunch in Waco, Texas at the Country Club and Golf Course around  July, 1975:

" You can't stop a man that's determined to go somewhere. "

PAUL MEYER  Motivational Guru,  Founder of Success Motivation Institute, Waco Texas

( I was too dumb to know any better and I believed him )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Be careful what you believe. " 
Roy Delgado

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment