Friday, June 24, 2011

Jim Orton, editorial cartoonist passes away today 6-24-11



This drawing with the bumper sticker I just finished 5 minutes ago and the other with the viking is only one hour old . . . time will tell if these exercises were just a waste of time or maybe they will sell . . I kinda like both of them . . .  anyway, I'm glad I did them anyway . . . I'm better as a cartoonist now than I was 2 hours ago . . I believe that . . . and remember, you gotta be careful what you believe . . .

I just got a phone call from Mary Lou Hastings, cartoonist Jim Orton's longtime significant other in Annapolis, Maryland . . . just as I was posting these two cartoons on my blog . . she called to let me know that my long time friend had passed away in a nursing home.  He had suffered from Altzheimers and his dementia had deteriorated and worsened in the last seven years, he's in a better place right now she told me.

I met Jim Orton back around 1965 when we both attended The Corcoran Art School in Washington, D.C. where we both studied anatomy for two years.  At one time he was a regular editorial cartoonist for the Capitol Hill newspaper  ROLL CALL and his work appeared in several computer periodicals.  Jim was a long time member of the National Association of Editorial Cartoonists and he was one of a small group of editorial cartoonists, including Karl Hubenthal who went to Moscow and hooked up with some Russian cartoonists for a short stay and meetings comparing the craft of editorial  cartooning between the two super powers.

I considered Jim one of my closest friends and his two daughters, Fer and Lex, both worked for my company, Roy Delgado & Associates at its beginning in Falls Church, Virginia. ( In fact, they were my first two employees ) back in 1975-77.  The company grew to 32 employees and I think getting off to a good start with the Ortons had something to do with it.

I will miss Jim.

The services will be held at Hardesty's Funeral Home in Annapolis, Sunday, June 26, 12 to3.  I plan to attend.

Nuf sed for today.

---------------------------------------------

" In solitude we give
passionate attention to our lives,
to our memories,
to the details around us. "

Virginia Woolf, 1882-1941
ENGLISH NOVELIST


No comments:

Post a Comment