Saturday, December 10, 2011

Glenn R. Bernhardt - Magazine Cartoonist Master


Back in 1954 and right out of high school, while attending Billy Hon's School of Cartooning in Los Angeles, I wrote Glenn Bernhardt and begged him for an original.

  Today while rummaging through some old files I ran across this one he'd sent me with a short note.

He didn't live far away and had planned to visit him, but one thing after another came up and before I knew it I'd joined the Marines and was shipped to the far east . . .

The note said that this particular cartoon came out in The Saturday Evening Post, and the funny thing about it, he'd seen several almost identical versions of it.  But they still bought it.  Like they say, I good gag is a good gag, period. 

He told me to stick to it, or something like that, and like a damn fool, I did exactly that.

Glenn at that time appeared everywhere, and probably was one of the top ten sellers of that era.

He had a nice genaric style of that day.

--------------------------------

" Honesty is like an icicle; if once it melts, that is the end of it. "

--------------------------------

" A man without mirth is like a wagon without springs. "

-------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment