Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cartoon of the Month - Roy Delgado

-------------------

" The best careers advice to the young is:
' Find out what you like doing best and
get someone to pay you for doing it. ' "

Katherine Whitehorn, b. 1926
ENGLISH NEWSPAPER COLUMNIST

--------------------

" Few people think more than
two or three times a year.
I have made an international reputation
for myself by thinking once
or twice a week. "

George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950
IRISH DRAMATIST, WRITER AND CRITIC

------------------------

When I was about 14-15 years old, I became interested in knife-throwing . . . I used to see those ads in the back of comic books . . It screamed "send away for an authentic Malayan throwing knife" . . only a buck . . A buck was a lot of money back then . . . I always put it off . . .

 Anyway, I quickly started to look for some good butcher knives or the like to begin the art of knife-throwing ! I practiced nearby in an abandoned lot which also had a long six-foot high planked board fence, perfect for mastering the art . . . I thought.

Friends and myself spent endless hours throwing old, used butcher knives, paring knives, boy scout knives . . . ANY kind of knife . . . With the constant slamming against the fence on botched throws . . . ALL of them eventually were ruined or unable to be used for their intended use . . . it slowly became an expensive hobby . . .  I remember trying first, ONE FLIP, then we tried TWO FLIPS, then maybe it needed THREE FLIPS . . . .I soon found out it didn't matter HOW many flips you threw . . . It just wasn't as easy as it appeared !

 But they made it so easy in the movies !  Whether it was Errol Flynn or some other swashbuckler of the time . . . 

I soon became disillusioned of the craft and stuck to my drawing . . . thank God.  One of the smartest decisions I ever made in my life !

---------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment