Wednesday, September 12, 2012

New Yorker cartoon - Roy Delgado

 
----------
 
 
This cartoon originally was drawn about a year ago. After sending it to a couple markets or so, I decided to to send it to WSJ.
 
I just received it in a return batch today from WSJ
with a pencil notation that said 'baby bear' on the left margin of the drawing. After studying the drawing,
I took that to mean that they had THOUGHT of buying it and they wanted a small change and then they decided NOT to buy it.  Also, on the drawing, I had the Baby Bear placed behind the Papa bear behind his arm.  This made the drawing look too busy at that point and the Baby Bear was too small.  I also had the Mama Bear doing the talking.
 
So-o, what I did was erase the Baby Bear and move him down to the forefront of the drawing . . .
and have the Baby Bear doing the speaking . . . then I closed Mama Bear's mouth.
 
Like I said, I just received this batch this morning.  I just redrew the cartoon and fixed it and the finish is as you see it now.
 
I just emailed it to Reader's Digest and it was rejected.
 
---------
 
So now, I just opened up my brand new current issue ( Sept. 10th, 2012 ) of The New Yorker and Bingo! on page 94 I see a cartoon by newcomer New Yorker cartoonist MOLVIG on page 94 . . . essentially, it is the identical gag!
 
Molvig's version is amateurishly drawn, which is fine ( for the New Yorker  . . . It is considered as " HIP ", by them . . . you know, if it feels GOOD, DO It !, part of the 60's feel-good bumper-stickers and movement ).
 
Of course the New Yorker doesn't take into consideration a well drawn cartoon , and apparently do not care, in fact, it can HURT you ! )
 
Molvig's version has the two adult bears standing behind Baby bear as he peers at his desktop computer . . .   gagline is:  " And someone has stolen my identity. "
 
I like the shorter gagline.
 
At least I'm doing the right kind of material.
 
I just emailed the cartoon to Reader's Digest.  BEFORE I HAD SEEN MOLVIG'S VERSION !  AND it was rejected.
 
 - - - - - -
 
And THAT'S the way it is, as ole Walter Cronkite used to say . . .
 
- - - - -
 
The funny thing about this is that it is EASY to draw crudely or amateurishly but it is no fun for me . . . I just wouldn't enjoy it . . . I'd feel like a phony . . . I was taught as a child to always be true and do the very best you can, ALWAYS, reach down deep and muster everything in your being and become the very best that you can . . . Obviously all of that advice was B.S., if you intend to be a " New Yorker cartoonist". 
 
I remember in reading about the origin of The New Yorker, young Harold Ross stated that in his mission statement, ( I'm paraphrasing ) . . .
 
" I want a magazine where we will have the very " BEST " writers and artists and cartoonist available in the magazine . . . ( Of course, I know that this is subjective, " the best " . . . A-A-ND, this is where the extreme "lefties" jump in . . . " Roy, this IS the BEST . . It's YOU . . . We're in charge . . . or as Obama told Kantor in his first meeting right after the election as he met with the conservative branch's proposal for the government : QUOTE:
 
" ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES, I WON. "
( Says the young Obama )
 
and went off to stiff him.
( From Bob Woodward's new book)
 
Harold Ross is probably rolling over in his grave. 
 
That is the part that I am STILL trying to figure out . . .
 
Am I wrong ?  someone please help me . . .
 
I understand more than ever when Socrates talked about " the ambiguity of words. "
Thank you, ( my man ), Socrates.
 
----------
 
" When we do the best we can,
we never know what miracle is wrought
in our life or the life of another. "
 
- Kelen Keller, 1880-1968
AMERICAN WRITER AND LECTURER
 
 
----------
 
Here is the drawing I first sent in . . .
 

No comments:

Post a Comment