Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cartoon of the Day - New Yorker cartoon

 - - - - - - - -
 
This cartoon belongs in The New Yorker . . . ask anybody who SELLS to the New Yorker.
Don't take MY word for it.  Ask Bob Mankoff.
If it does NOT, tell me why  . . . besides what I get from Bob Mankoff . . . " Your work might be okay for Reader's Digest, but not quite "right" for us.
 
Reader's Digest ?  What are you, nuts ? - - - There are many Reader's Digest cartoonists who appear in The New Yorker . . .  Caldwell, P.C. Vey, and I'm botching his name, off the top of my head, and too lazy to look it up, an Aussie fine cartoonist I admire " Le Mieux", or something like that !
 
There's THREE off the top of my head . . . . I seldom fail, very, very seldom . . .  in fact the only time I've ever failed was just ONCE . . .
 
Imagine, being able to say:  " I'VE NEVER BEEN WRONG IN MY LIFE . . . ACTUALLY, TRUTHFULLY, I WAS WRONG JUST ONCE, I WAS WRONG . . .
 
JUST ONCE I WAS WRONG ! 
BUT ACTUALLY I WAS RIGHT . . .
BECAUSE I BET I WAS WRONG !
 
- - - - - - - -

5 comments:

  1. I can't seem to get The New Yorker to buy my cartoons either although I am a regular contributor to Reader's Digest Canada. In fact, I have sold my cartoons to RD Germany, RD Romania (yeah, Romania) and RD Poland. But, interestingly enough, I strike out everytime with RD USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Len -
      I enjoy your stuff . . . as you know, it streams onto my home page daily. There are a lot of cartoonists whose work is as good or "better" than a lot of the, pardon the expression, "shit" you see week after week in the Nu Yawkuh, as they call it in New York!
      The cartoon impresonators know who they are at The New Yorker. Would you have a plumber design and install your curtains in your house ? Of course not. Then, where did someone get the idea that a writer is an artist ? Yes, they do exist, but very rare, very rare.

      Delete
    2. Roy-
      Was the cartoonist, Glen LeLievre the one your were trying to think of?
      Van

      Delete
    3. Len -
      As Tony Galento told Johnny Friendly ( Lee J. Cobb ) in ON THE WATERFRONT, everytime Johnny made a remark, His Yes-Man Bodyguard Tony Galento would take the cigar out of his mouth and say: "EXACTLY."

      In my humble opinion, I think Glen LeLievre is one of the very best, both in gags and drawing style to come along at The cNew Yorker in 20 years.

      Delete
    4. Van-
      I had Len on my mind when I answered your last comment,
      sorry. One more thing, to clarify . . . . A cartoonist can write his own gags, and that happens all the time . . . . but a writer who tries to draw cartoons and tries to get away with it . . . You get what you see in The New Yorker . . . I don't have to mention names. It just doesn't work. It doesn't have to be that way, just because one man happened to come along and decided that is the way to go, well, that's why you have elections every four years. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen with cartoon editors.
      It took Lenin's idea 75 years to find out it doesn't work, some trhings take time to change.

      Delete