Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Ray Burrns Cartoon course - $1.00 - (1950)



While scouring through some old boxes and files that have travelled with me for some 60-odd years, I ran across what is left of an old ' How to Draw Cartoon Book by then famous Ray Burns . . . I have portions of the famous cartoon How-to book which was advertised then for only One Dollar !  in the back of Popular Science and other magazines.

I thought I'd post what is left of my book.  I probably learned more about cartooning from this handy publication than anything else I have ever encountered!
The soft-cover measured 8.5 inches x 11 inches, horizontal and was well worth a buck.  My mother had bought it for me, I think I was about 12 years old at the time.  When I got the book, I knew right then and there that this profession was what I was called to do . . .at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it !


 
 
The second installment shows an offensive cartoon of an African-American exaggerated drawing showing him of course stealing chickens . . . . it's amazing, but remember, this was BEFORE Al Sharpton !  How stupid now that you see it !  It was in poor taste then and stupid. 

I remember, even back then, I thought it was in poor taste and stupid.  It is shown here only in a historical
standpoint to show how things were in what seems only to be the other day. It was obviously more than stupid.


 
 
 
What I find satisfying and very valuable from this one book is that this one dollar book has everything you'll ever need to know about cartooning in my opinion . . . even to this day ! no kiddin' ! 
Yes, obviously they're old-fashioned drawings, but the "basics", the important rules and stuff you really need are all right here . . . unbelievable 1 AND just a buck !
 

No comments:

Post a Comment