Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What's in a name ? Better be careful . . . - HBR - Roy Delgado


" SEE THE SHRINK'S NAME ?. . .
 LENNY LIPSHITZ . . . I always thought it was a 
funny name . . . but it's a REAL name !
I LOVE THE NAME.  It sounds like a name you woulda seen on stage in a slapstick comedy act between striptease acts, maybe in Baltimore, circa 1958 . . . . They had some great
slapstick acts then . . . I was stationed in downtown Washington D.C. with the Ceremonial President's Ceremonial Guard Detachment at the time.
Baltimore was only 55 minutes away . . . 

" Several years ago, I used the name, LIPSHITZ in a cartoon for HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW, and it was an executive's office . . . . the lettering on the door read: Lenny Lipshitz, CEO, etc., etc. anyway, they asked me to change the name  . . . They said it sounded like it was too made up and someone could be offended by it, it didn't sound real . . . so I changed the name to read a more common Irish  name . . . I forgot the name I changed it to and I don't remember the gag. . . Anyway. I thought you might enjoy the little story behind the name , LIPSHITZ . "
After that episode, I tweaked it a little, and now I use it thusly: Leonard Lipschitz . . . I think it looks and sounds
more authentic and dignified in a slapstick way . . .  but
then, again, what the hell  do I KNOW ? "

- Peter Plum

" Nuf sed. "
- Peter Plum Jr.

. . . . . . . . . . . . 

" Few people think more than
two or three times a year.

I have made an international reputation
for myself by thinking once
or twice a week. "

- George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950
IRISH DRAMATIST, WRITER AND CRITIC

No comments:

Post a Comment