Friday, June 1, 2012

Wall Street Journal cartoon - Roy Delgado


This cartoon was sold about a year ago,
but I guess they held on to it until the
perfect time came to publish it.

This cartoon came out in yesterday's edition,
May 31, 2012. ( In the Pepper and Salt feature )

Thanks to Don Cresci, writer, cartoonist and friend who sent this to me.

 With all the current talk revolving around college grad unemployment figures, etc. they couldn't have picked a better time!

----------------

" A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. "

- Sir Francis Bacon

------------------

This has always been one of my favorite sayings.

It resonates with me and reminds me of several employees I had during my 26 year stint as founder and CEO of Roy Degado & Associates, a large Sign/Graphics corporation in Northern Virginia from 1975 to 2001.

I would explain this as a perfect example, thusly . . . . Let's say you worked in a fire cracker manufacturing facility fur several years and you learned a little about explosives, etc. . . . THEN, you leave the employment there and you go to another company who also manufactures fire crackers, etc., and you tell them, "Sure, I know how to make these cherry bombs, or whatever " . . . . you probably know the rest of the story . . . the guy now wears an eye patch and has only eight fingers and half of one thumb.

---------------

Without a doubt, the more education you have, the better you will probably fare in this life, the key word is probably, AND will also "round" you off.

-----------------

I also, on this subject, remember, back in 1969, when I was living in Tucson, Arizona painting billboards in the desert, my brother-in-law came out from Virginia to test the employment situation there.

There was an opening at the Fire Department.  One opening and maybe 50 applicants.  10% had degrees from the university, and one Ph.D even applied.

I don't have to tell you who got the job, ( the guy with the Ph.D).  My brother-in-law had only a high school diploma.

----------------

Obviously, when I was hiring at my sign company and two or more people who were equaly qualified for the job applied, the most- educated one would always get the job for sure.  And also, if I had two people equally qualified would apply, and one was honorably discharged from the military, I would also pick the military man, every time . . . the Army or whatever branch  has already made this person "ready" for me.


If he was an ex-Marine he would go to the front of the line, period.

------------------

" The great essentials to
happiness in this life are
something to do,
something to love and
something to hope for. "

- Joseph Addison,  1672-1719
ENGLISH ESSAYIST 

-------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment