Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cartoon of the Day - Roy Delgado

 
 - - - - - - -
 
One of my favorite movies of all time, ( one of the top three ) is Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.  The film is on TCM this Tuesday morning at 11:00 AM, gotta record it.
 
The classic story of an architect, Howard Roark, played by Gary Cooper and also starring Patricia Neal.  The renowned maverick architect was a man after my heart who wanted to build a skyscraper the way he wanted to . . . the authorities wanted to stop him.  His famous words spoken in that film: " Rather than asking who will let me, I ask who will stop me ? "
 
Sends chills up my spine. What an attitude.  You can't stop a man that won't be stopped.
 
 - - - - - - -
 
My Patricia Neal story:
 
 Back around the early 90's I stayed a week in Martha's Vineyard as a guest with cartoonist Bob Weber Sr. ( Moose & Molly and Slylock Fox, King Features ) in a beach house he'd rented for a week.   While there, we got together with Mick Stevens at Starbuck's ( This Starbuck's was a restaurant which existed long before the Starbuck's chain of coffee shops ) for lunch and met Jules Feiffer at a library where he was giving a talk.
 
 When we got ready to return back to Connecticut, we were at the very small airport at Martha's Vineyard waiting for our commuter flight to Boston.  The Martha's Vineyard airport is probably the smallest airport I've ever seen.  After arriving there and waiting about five minutes, in walks Patricia Neal and walks right towards me, since I was standing right in front of the small coffee shop.  She looked right me, and I recognized her right away, so I smiled and said Hi  . . . she smiled back.
 
Now I can talk like Larry King, like when he says . . . I'll never forget what Bob Mitchum told me, blah, blah, blah . . . Now I can say  I'll never forget what Trisha Neal told me at the Martha's Vineyard airport . . blah, blah, blah . . . 
 
The funny thing happened the following year when I stayed at Martha's Vineyard again under the same circumstances . . . This time, while at the small airport, I'm standing at the exact spot inside the airport and in walks Jackie Onassis with her companion . . .  then was I believe was a doctor who's slightly portly and balding . . . same thing happeneed . . . several people recognized her and everyone said Hi and she acknowledged  everyone . . .  
 
After returning back home to Virginia, I had to resort to my old routine of hanging around with the common folk.
 
 - - - - - - -
 
" After all, the only proper intoxication
is conversation. "
 
- Oscar Wilde
 
 - - - - - - -
 
Nuf sed.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment